Friday, November 9, 2012

Days of Uncle Ernest - Chesapeake City and the World – Babs, Chapter 1


Days of Uncle Ernest -
Chesapeake City and the World – Babs, Chapter 1

You know something, Nina? I thought I’d never get Uncle Ernest to tell me what happened next with his hot air balloon. But, finally, one afternoon the next week, we got together on the double chair under the maple tree in the side yard. “Where in the world did that contraption land you next, Unk?” I asked.
       “Believe me, Moose, I was so tired after my all-nighter with Maggie that I must have slept for a long while. When I awakened the balloon was descending and I could see nothing but clear blue sky all around and above and below. ‘Geez,’ I thought, ‘I must be in outer space.’ There was so much oxygen that I could breathe effortlessly. I literally felt twenty years younger. As the balloon descended I kept looking below to see where it was taking me this time. What do you think I saw?”
“Beats me, Unk. Did it set you down with a bunch of dinosaurs? What did you see?”
“Nothing! I couldn’t see a blamed thing in all directions but clear, baby-blue sky. After a while, though, I noticed that there was an ocean down there. Then I could see a speck of green, which got larger as I descended. Moose, I was going to land on a vast, beautiful island, with meandering streams and flowered trees of many different colors.
“When I got closer I could smell the fragrant blossoms. It was amazing. I was sure that I had ventured, somehow, onto another planet, but then I could see many familiar animals moving around in different areas below, so I knew I was still on good old Mother Earth.
“After I landed and hid my balloon and basket, I could tell that there was no place like it on earth. I started walking along the river banks and discovered that the living conditions were delightful—perfect temperature, plenty of fruit, nuts, vegetables, and refreshing spring water.
“Even all of the animals were friendly; they didn’t run from each other or from me. I continued walking, checking things out, until I came upon a guy sitting under a tree scribbling numbers in the dirt with a stick, and do you know what, Moose? He was stark naked.”
“Crap, Unk, you landed in a nudist camp!”
“Not really, this guy was just strange. He had an adult body but the mind of a three year old. He was definitely a goofy-looking bird. He had a small head, thin arms and legs, and a gigantic distended belly. The belly was startling, bigger and rounder than the largest pregnant woman’s I’ve ever seen. He was sitting in the dirt with his legs crossed, and surrounding him in small piles was every kind of fruit imaginable: plums, pears, apricots, peaches, bananas, grapes, oranges, and so forth.
“I’ll tell you what now; it was bizarre, for he was stuffing himself with the fruit, going from pile to pile, eating with his left hand as the juice ran down his chin and dripped onto his gut, giving it a chartreuse-tinted sheen. With his right hand he was writing numbers in the dirt with a stick, drawing lines under them, and writing more numbers. Then he’d erase it all with a piece of bark and start all over again. The creature was entirely covered with thick hair. His head was slightly pointed and his face was covered with so much black fuzz that I could see only his eyes and flattened nose.
“I'd say he looked to me like a cross between a large chimpanzee and Yogi Berra. He may have been the missing link or something, but he was definitely not completely human. He looked up at me and said, ‘Me workin’,’ and gestured towards a field of fruit trees—cherry, plum, apple, peach and others—that he had planted and numbered. 'Me plant’m,' he grunted. Geez, Moose, he was beyond belief. I've never, ever talked to anybody that dense in my life, not even in Cecil County.
“I said to him, ‘Hey, you’re a whiz; what’s your name?’ When he gave me a blank stare I shrugged and said, ‘Well, I’ll just call you Bud.’ I sat with him for a while and then, bored, walked on towards a large orchard in the distance. I walked into the orchard and saw magnificent wild flowers everywhere. Many species of songbirds were flitting about and perched on the limbs of the fruit trees. A black panther was stretching under one of the trees and, believe it or not, a blue jay was perched on his back, just as unconcerned as could be.
“It was about this time that I saw her, Moose. She was sitting on a log behind a large apple tree, eating a red apple about the size of a grapefruit. She was dark complexioned and had long black hair. But, you know, that’s not the first thing I noticed about her.”
“She was naked, too, like Bud. Right Unk?” I asked, trying not to seem too excited.
“You bet your life, and she was beautiful, and not at all ashamed that she was totally bare. In fact, when I said ‘Hi’ and sat next to her on the log, she wanted to know why I had those funny things hanging from my body. ‘Those coverings must be abrasive,’ she told me, and made me take all of them off so I’d be comfortable. Well, I felt pretty strange for a while, but after a few minutes it felt as natural as could be.
“ ‘My name’s Ernie. What’s yours?’
“ ‘What would you like it to be?’ she asked, showing me that she was a good bit smarter than Bud. When I asked her what the other people in the area called her, she said that the only other person was the guy playing in the dirt, the goof I had just met, Bud. She said that he didn’t talk to her much unless he wanted her to cook him some rhubarb or something, and then he’d call out: ‘Hey You!’
“Then I noticed something really strange about her. She was a real knockout to be sure, but she had no trace of any belly button and, later, when I was able to get a good look at Bud, I saw that he didn’t have one either.”
“Geez,” I said, gulping and wide-eyed, “maybe some aliens from another planet hatched them from eggs and placed them there as an experiment.”
“Beats me, Moose. That idea’s as good as any, but I wonder about it to this day.” [To be continued Tuesday, 11/13/2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment