Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Times of Uncle Ernest - Chesapeake City and Beyond – Patti, Chapter 7


Times of Uncle Ernest -
Chesapeake City and Beyond – Patti, Chapter 7

       "As I approached that same Wilmington dock, ten years later to the day, I saw from a distance a red glow. And when I got closer I felt a chill shoot up my spine. It was Afrodidy, sitting in the same spot, with her legs dangling rhythmically under the wharf and that crimson hair waving delightfully in the afternoon sun. Moose, she was smiling and waving as I pulled in, and she looked exactly the same as she did when I departed."
       "Let it go, Unk. Don't describe her again, please; once is enough."
       "Sorry, Moose, I hate to deprive you of her beauty, but I'll let it go. I will say that we had a special time together. We embraced for a long while, there on that dock, and I told her that I wanted her forever. And she sobbed a little and said, 'Oh, Ernie, my special mortal man. You must know that I am a goddess; I can live only in select moments of human life. But I will always be with you—alive in your memory. For now I can give you this, and it will be burned in your mind until you reach the Happy Isles. You have me till sunset tomorrow. You can decide what we do, where we go—anything.' So, Moose, I was one happy uncle.

              We loved with a love
              That was more than love,
              I and my Afrodidie.

       "And, believe it or not, I took her where I had offered to take Ellie, to God's Country, exotic Chesapeake City. Arm in arm we explored the town and the canal area, and in the evening we partied with the greats of the town: Captain Ed Sheridan, Joe Savin, Jay Sager, Dr. Davis, Ralph Hazel, Archie Crawford, Roy Foard, Frank Bristow, Clem Vaughan, Patty Carlton, Kitty Schaefer, and Bill Herman.
       "Didie said that Schaefer's devilled crab was the best in the universe. She loved the enchantment of riding the ferry back and forth across the canal, and as we embraced we watched the moonlight dance on the wake. We even went to Summit so we could ride the lift bridge up and down. We spent the night at the Inn at the Canal, and for our last day together I took her to White Crystal Beach. We danced on the boardwalk to the music from the jukebox, melodious love songs of yesteryear. Our last hours we spent loving on the pure-white sand, gazing across the Elk at Turkey Point, enhanced by the presence of the lighthouse, a distant white column against the dark green trees.
       "Yet sunset was approaching, Moose, and I thought that if I kept her tightly in my arms she wouldn't go. But in an instant—when the last dim glow descended—I felt a shock, like touching a spark plug. And instead of the wondrous Didie in my arms, I was hugging a forked tree branch, topped by a glob of seaweed. Just before she changed she put her lips against my ear and whispered, jarring alert my senses and implanting forever her words in my mind with tender gusts of warm breath: 'I'll never forget you, Ernie. Never forget you!' "
       I sat there, smiling, Nina, because as we talked our sun (mine and Unk’s) was setting. And soon he'd be gone and I'd be inside next to the radio, laughing with the laughter. Sure enough, that old Uncle Ernest jumped me, got me in a headlock, and knuckled my skull. But I escaped easily and asked him if he hadn't touched up some of those wild stories. He looked at me with a frown, and with mock anger asked: "Do you think your only uncle in the world could do that? You behave yourself, Moose the Goose."
       So then, Nina, I watched him trudge the shortcut across our long field towards town. His figure became smaller as he descended the hill. When he reached the corner intersecting the road to town, I saw him bob down the embankment and disappear behind the contorted maple tree that marked our property line. He would haunt the saloons until dawn, sometimes returning the next day and sometimes not. But while I sat there as the day died, I felt a sorrow come over me, and in my head resounded softly the words: "Never forget you … never forget you …"

[A new book (third of the trilogy) to begin Friday, 7/20/2012 – Days of Uncle Ernest]

No comments:

Post a Comment