Friday, January 22, 2021

                                                            Summer Love

“What’s your hurry, love?” she seemed to ask,

As wincing I stood wounded by her grasp.

The more I tugged, hoping to pull free,

The more she gripped my pant leg near the knee.


“I always hurt the ones I love,” she sighed.

Now I, the one, alarmed at being tied,

Reached to free her grip from off my side.

But then she clutched with lovesick might

My shoulder with a stinging bite,

And rapt with ecstasy she held me tight.

 

The more I fought the more her claws dug in.

“Let loose, Tar Babe!” I called. “I’m stuck again.”

“I’d love to hold you longer,” she replied.

But gingerly with pain I deftly pried

Away those thorny-fingered, clinching arms

And wrestling free I slipped outside her charms.

 

I left her flailing there in helpless search

Of other wayward beaus within her perch.

And looking back I saw her lurch and sway,

As if the wind might help her break away

To curse the dirt that dared to hold her bound.

And then she swung and curled herself around.

 

I watched and listened as I backed away,

And with amazement stopped to hear her say:

“As time goes by you’ll watch for blooms of white

That flourish on me almost overnight.

Oh you’ll be fondling me in warmer weather.

By then you’ll want to stick with me forever—

When suns of summer bake my beauties black

And crafts a taste so pure to bring you back,

And forms them round in almost perfect spheres,

Curing them soft with juice as autumn nears.

You’ll disregard my prickly tines of love

To mouth delicious fruit from up above.”

 

I walked awhile beyond her sound and view

And as I tramped I thought and then I knew

That I’d return into her arms again.

Ah, well I knew that this was not the end,

For lovers bear the pain they have to face

To taste the joy in some secluded place.

They suffer but give in to their desires,

And rush to know the splendor in the briers.

 

And so I’ll go again to suit my wishes,

                                    And suck my thumb in pain for dark-lipped kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment