Monday, May 20, 2013

The Daredevil of City Dock


The Daredevil of City Dock

South Chesapeake City, with Rees’ Granary at far left, circa 1950

Aerial view of the Chesapeake Boat Company, circa 1955

            I was a happy boy that day back in the early forties because I knew that Uncle Ernest would be at the farm with us for a few days. And, alert reader, I’m sure you remember the story he promised to tell me about his magic submarine and his girlfriend, Helen. But he arrived late that first day so he only had time to mention the story before he had to leave the house for what he called his “rejuvenating night of liquid entertainment.” So, that next morning, excited, I got up early just in time to see him sort of wobble through our screen door and collapse on our living room couch. Well, I knew he’d feel better later, so after breakfast I crossed the field and headed for City Dock to take a swim in the canal.
            Most of the time I swam there at the pier next to Ralph Rees’ granary, a monstrous, dilapidated shell of what it once was. I’d dive down and grab mud off the ten-foot bottom, bring it up and treading water heave it at one of my buddies, who usually saw it coming and ducked under in time. But our water skills were child’s play compared to a crazy and doomed fellow we called Gibby. Gibby was a marvel. He’d climb to the rooftop of that 30-foot granary, almost falling through the rusted tin roof, and stand there with his coal-black hair waving in the air, a human weather vane. Now, Gibby had occasional seizures—fits we called them—and when he had one he was like a wild man. I recall hearing about the last one he suffered in town. Bystanders reported that his uncontrollable frenzy culminated in his heaving a brick through Charles Tatman’s grocery store window. And so, he was sent to a special asylum in Cambridge, never to be seen and marveled at again by us local teenaged ruffians.
            But Gibby is still there in my mind’s eye, there atop that long-gone granary (its rotting pilings can still be seen at low tide. They’re just beyond the Canal Creamery that stands in its place). Oh sure, he’s still there, waving his arms histrionically for a few minutes before his swan dive into five feet of water. At which point he’d disappear and be under for a long time, maybe three minutes, and one of us would say, “My God, he’s had a fit under there!” But then, just when we were ready to panic, one of us would shout, “There he is!” And we’d all see his head bobbing somewhere way out in the canal. Or, maybe he’d emerge across the basin near the Corps’ Mindy Building.
As we watched he’d disappear again and emerge again at a spot where we’d not be looking, far from where he first was, like a crippled duck you’re chasing and trying to shoot before he dives again. Then down he’d go again, and maybe pop up out toward Schaefer’s wharf or maybe toward the North Side Ferry Slip. Strangely enough, I don’t recall that he ever returned to shore to mingle with the pedestrian antics of us amateurs assembled at City Dock. And if I didn’t know better—know about Cambridge—I’d think that he was still out there somewhere, ducking under and bobbing up just where you’d least expect him to.
            All of a sudden something clicked in my brain for I remembered that Uncle Ernest was at our house. So I ran on home, even taking the shortcut across the north field. And, sure enough, there was Unk relaxing on our porch swing. That ancient swing still hovers on the front porch today, serving our grandkids, just as it did when Pop first hung it up back in the thirties. Cousin John Sager had one just like it. He told me that they were sold by the Chesapeake Boat Company when Townsend Johnson owned it. The site is under water now, having been dredged out in the sixties when the canal was widened and deepened.
Anyway, Townsend Johnson was T.H. Johnson’s dad, and T.H. was my first Sunday school teacher. That’s right, I was five and he was six when he schooled me in how to fight with my feet, elbows, and knees. Somehow we had both crawled under a table where his lesson was indoctrinated with authority. Oh yeah, our raucous interplay caused quite a disturbance until Helen Foard separated us. So it was concerned reader that at five years old I figured that if this was what religion was about, then . . . I not only was going to like it, I was going to make the most of it. And sure, his sermon was well-presented, there on the floor amongst the dust bunnies of the Trinity Methodist Church. T.H. made sure I wouldn’t forget the lesson, even after 70 years.
So, as I was saying before T.H. interrupted, I saw Uncle Ernest on the swing, and when I flopped next to him he began telling me his promised tale. We swung gently in the quiet beauty of the afternoon as he told his story, interrupted only by his trips to the inside of the house to freshen his ice cubes. And here for your enjoyment is the true story he related to me:
“Yeah, Moose the Goose, that magic submarine carried me halfway around the world to a place called Troytown. When I got there I tied off the sub and started walking toward mid-town. Soon I came upon a horse-drawn chariot beside the road, and inside was the prettiest blonde I’d ever seen, even prettier than these beauties in Chesapeake City. But, Geez, Moose, she was crying her eyes out. So I stepped in to console her and she told me that the guy in front watering the horse was Paris, and that he had kidnapped her, had abducted her from her home and boyfriend across the bay. Her home was Spartaberg and she was homesick.
“And of course you know what I had to do: when the scoundrel stepped into the chariot I clobbered him. Then I took Helen to the sub and asked her if she wanted to be my girlfriend and come back with me to one of the greatest towns in the world, Chesapeake City. But, plastering me with a big kiss right on the lips, she cooed a while before saying with intermittent sobs of sorrow that she’d love to stay with me, her hero, but that she had to return to her boyfriend, Mendy, who was the president of her country and that she was to become his First Lady. And so, Moose, I took her back, and on the way I gazed into those light blue eyes and told her that she had the face that could launch a thousand ships. And, wow! I was glad I made up that line because I got quite a hug in return.
“When we arrived, Mendy thanked me with bows and handshakes. He said that I saved him a lot of trouble because he with his army and navy were all ready to invade Troytown to get Helen back. He said that all the ships in the entire country were stocked and ready to set sail. So then, Moose, my deed was done, and after a few more kisses and hugs I came on back to Schaefer’s Wharf.”
          And that was all for that day, because he had to get ready for another night on the town. I’ll tell you, I really admired Uncle Ernest. Here I was, a 9-year-old boy from a small town, with a true hero kin like Unk. I was mighty proud of his bravery and his irresistible ways with the ladies. The next afternoon he left, saying that the ponies at Delaware Park were calling him, whatever that meant. So, sadly, I would have to cool my heels until his next visit, just as you’ll have to cool yours, patient reader, until my next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment