Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Days of Uncle Ernest - Chesapeake City and the World – Billy, Chapter 6


Days of Uncle Ernest -
Chesapeake City and the World – Billy, Chapter 6

The slamming screen door told me that Uncle Ernest was on his way, and soon he was next to me, knuckling my head and laughing to beat the band.
“What’s so funny, Unk?”
“Yeah, Moose,” he blurted, stifling his laughter, “you should have seen me that afternoon on the stage of that funny open-sky theater. The place was really different from any playhouse you’ve ever seen. The stage jutted right out into the audience and guys of all sizes and shapes were standing there, some waving beer mugs, some eating apples, and some gnawing drumsticks as they laughed, danced around, and jostled one another. ‘We’d better do a good job, Ernie, or we might be wearing that beer or dodging apples,’ Billy warned. But, surprisingly, everything went really well, because the rowdy birds whistled and yelled their approval after each scene.
“A strange thing happened to me, Moose, and I just have to tell you even though it embarrassed me something awful. Billy took my advice and set the play in Italy with the two lovers, Tony and Sophia. All the actors wore funny get-ups with a lot of makeup, but the audience didn’t see anything wrong throughout the whole play.
“I thought the actress playing Sophia, the girl that my character, Tony, was madly in love with, was really beautiful. I swear, Moose, I fell in love with her. I’d flirt with her every chance I got—you know, wink and smile and so forth—just to let her know that I liked her a lot.”
“You’re nuts, Unk. That’s so stupid.”
“Yeah, I know, but when I looked up into her eyes near the end of the balcony scene, and when she talked about a bird I said, ‘I would I were thy bird,’  and when she said, ‘Sweet, so would I: yet I should kill thee with much cherishing. Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow,’ I just couldn’t help falling in love with her on the spot.
“But, Moose, you don’t know the half of it. It wasn’t just stupid to like her so much; it was idiotic. Let me tell you what happened. After the play I went to the men’s room and was standing there using a sort of trough that, by the way, emptied directly into the Thames, when somebody walked in and stood right next to me. I looked over casually and about had heart failure right on the spot.
“Believe it or not, but it was Sophia standing next to me with her (his) skirt pulled up. I cursed loudly as Sophia laughed and slapped his knees. Stomping on out of there, I grabbed Billy and yelled, ‘Why didn’t you tell me that Sophia was a boy?’ ‘Well, Geez, Ernie,’ Billy said, surprised, ‘I thought everybody knew that women aren’t allowed to act in our plays.’ ”
I’ll tell you, Nina, I laughed so hard at that dumb Uncle Ernest that I fell off the swing and rolled around in the grass.
“If you don’t stop I won’t tell you any more stories,” Uncle Ernest yelled; “now knock it off, Moose.”
So I jumped back on the swing and said, “Sorry, Unk, but that’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.” Uncle Ernest was quiet for a while as he took a few extra swigs from his drink.
“Yeah, Moose, acting in that play was something special,” he continued finally, “and by the time our horse trotted on back to Stratfield it was late evening and the sun was setting on the beautiful Avalon. After dinner, I spent four or five hours helping Billy polish his plays and poetry and, I think that even though he would never make it big, he may have been able to make a little spare money to help support that fine family. We stayed the night with them and in the morning sailed on back to Lizzie’s garden island on the Thames.
“We all kissed and hugged before we left and I noticed that Hansen had tears in his eyes and, my goodness, I have to admit that when I saw that and also Baby Sauce with her head lowered in dejection, my eyes started to moisten for just a moment. Poor Lizzie, torn with the emotion of having to leave, started sobbing, so I had to console her as I had done before.” [To be continued Friday, 9/7/2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment